Upgrade to a Programmable Thermostat at Home: 5 Reasons Why
Programmable thermostats can come in handy during any season of the year. Whether you want to keep your home cool during the summer or toasty during the winter, this will give you the control to do so. Here are five benefits of upgrading to a programmable thermostat:
- Control your energy bills. By making use of set points that are pre-programmed when to regularly use or not use your heating or cooling system, you can control your energy bill. Unlike using an older model of thermostat, having a programmable thermostat removes variables which can lead to surprisingly high monthly statements.
- Zoned cooling and heating. One of the great functions of a programmable thermostat is the ability to use a zoning system which allows separate temperature settings for different rooms or areas. This function is only available with a programmable thermostat. There are areas in everyone’s home that see more use during different times of the day, and it’s possible to save money on heating the bedrooms all day if you really only need heat in the kitchen or living room.
- Convenient touchscreen layout. With touch screens becoming the standard for everything from airport check-ins to special e-book reading devices, a touchscreen is something that most people are familiar with and comfortable using. Rather than turning a manual dial and being reminded of under-heated winters at Grandma’s house in days long past, this is something that feels upgraded for convenience.
- It’s automatic. This is the most obvious point of having a programmable thermostat, but it’s one of the best parts of it. For people who use this function regularly, it’s probably difficult to imagine doing it any other way. When you wake up in the morning, you can have it programmed that your living room and kitchen started heating up half an hour ahead of your alarm, so you don’t have to bundle up to make breakfast. And when you’re on your way home from work, instead of fearing an icy welcome when you walk in the door, you can be greeted by warm air. Of course, with any heating system or AC system it’s possible to keep it running while you’re asleep or not home, but that is a sure way to drive up your energy bill. It’s also possible to program set points in your thermostat so that it will never pass above or below certain temperatures.
- Information at-a-glance: With a quick few touches of the screen, you’re able to get information about the temperatures in different areas inside your home, which will help you control what you’d like to set them at. This information takes out the guess work and puts you in control of the comfort of your home. This data will also help you know quickly if there is a problem that requires solving.
The benefits of programmable thermostats are tough to argue with. Fewer and fewer people are still clinging to the use of older models. Being in control of the comfort of your home and your energy bill makes this a great investment for any homeowner.